Saturday, December 17, 2011

Mama Bear Porridge



So on our quest to feed ourselves and our kids Porridge I came across a cool sounding recipe for oatmeal. I was intrigued buy the fact that the finishing touch on it was stirring in eggs. Since our hens are giving us up to 3 eggs a day I need a good way of incorporating those treasures into our diet and really an oatmeal dish with a kick of protein just sounded very healthy to feed my babies, assuming of course that they will eat the food. So i made the recipe and oddly enough it was more of a porridge texture than any dish I can done so far as they we more mush textured. However my fatal flaw was the very thing that attracted me to this dish, the eggs. My husband is allergic to eggs which is why I have issues incorporating them into our food. He can eat eggs that are cooked into food but avoids custards and things that are very eggs. He did not have a reaction to this dish (I only used 2 eggs) but the whole idea of there being an egg in his porridge made the the porridge unpalatable to him. Of course Scarlett and Beau being who they are... the only one who ate any porridge was me. But alas I already eat oatmeal and would probably eat it plain if need be. So there I was with a whole pot of porridge. Seriously we live in a time of plenty and most food is just thrown away. But what of that wasn't the case? Plus my kids didn't eat any. So I tried to get creative. So I added some baking powder to the porridge and enough flour to make the pottage the same consistency as a stiff cookie. I think if I were British the word might be scone? Then I tossed the mess onto a cookie sheet for 15 minutes until the oat cakes were just starting to brown. Voila from their noses being turned up at porridge to them happily eating oat cake cookies. I guess in the end it doesn't really matter how the food is cooked just as long as some of it ends up in the babies.
Ingredients 3 cups water 1 cup powdered milk 1 1/2 cups rolled oats 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/2 cup raisins 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 3 eggs 4 teaspoons butter 1 cup milk 3 tablespoons honey
Directions In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Combine the powdered milk, oats and cinnamon; quickly stir into the boiling water. Return the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the mixture is the desired thickness. Remove from heat and mix in the raisins and vanilla. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. The hot porridge will cook the eggs completely. Divide the porridge between 4 bowls. Top each one with a teaspoon of butter, 1/4 cup of milk , and drizzle with honey.

No comments: