Saturday, December 31, 2011

52 weeks of cooking!


So over at Just Mommies.com I am participating in a cooking chanllenge. We will be given a topic to cook each week and score points. I think this is going to help me get motivated here as well. We already have our first months Topics. Week 1: Eggs Week2: Chinese Week 3: soup Week 4: Pan-Frying.
I already have a lot of ideas for the Egg topic and it is as if our hens have heard the hype in the house, as they have stepped up the laying. I never realized how versital eggs really are my ideas span everything from Egg nog, to egg noodles. Since Wayne is allergic to eggs I am having to use them in creative ways or feed them to me and Tyler, since Beau and Scarlett hardly eat anything.
I have two recipes that use canned corned beef. I am really excited to give them a whirl. Wayne wants me to try pickling eggs too, I am hoping to find a recipe that used dill. All my choices are going to be important for our food storage, as eggs are the easiest protein for us to come up with!
This morning we had cornmeal mush with fried apples. I was worries as there was no sugar in the mush as it cooked. I served it with butter and colored sugar. Scarlett played in hers, Beau ate good today.
Lunch was split pea soup. My husband hates peas and had resisted pea soup for year, BUT he sain he liked the soup! yay.

CORNMEAL MUSH

Read more about it at
www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,195,147183-243207,00.htmlContent Copyright ©
2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.
2 c. cornmeal
2 tbsp. flour
2 tsp. salt
2 c. cold water
4 c. boiling water

Put 4 cups water on to boil. Mix dry ingredients in 2 cups cold water, then add boiling water and cook until thick. May be served warm with milk and sugar or poured into loaf pans until
firm. After the mush is firm and cooled, may be sliced and fried.

No comments: